Are you looking for best acne medication? In order to come up with the top acne medication, we have analyzed 307 products available in the market.
Top 3 Best Seller Acne Medication
Top 10 Acne Medication – Editor’s Choice
- Although it does not smell the best, it works amazingly well.
- Best pimple cream. Period!
- Gently and effectively clears up stubborn acne!
- It worked really well even though the smell wasn’t that pleasant.
- Stuff is insanely good for stopping pimples in their tracks.
- This is the best pimple cream!!! It shrinks regular pimples overnight and helps shrink/heal cystic pimples better then any other cream.
- This product is dermatologist recommended and works terrific.
- Working well for an Accutane graduate
- Highly recommend for those with sensitive skin, as this product is very gentle.
- The sulfur is great and works much better than either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
- Best Acne Product on the Market + Acne Regimen that Finally Works
- Gentle and Effective for Hormonal Acne
- Great product, benzoyl and tea tree is good for the skin
- Helpful for Cystic Acne in Adult Men
- Perfect for spot treatments
- This works wonders, with proper products layered!
- Good size bottle with a good working pump.
- Smells great and no burning, redness or irritation.
- The combination of tea tree and benzoyl is nice.
- With routine use, this product has worked very well with minimal drying.
- Clean feeling and acne reducing.
- Cleared me up years ago, now family is joining in
- Good for sweat rash – great price
- Perfect end of the night routine
- The pads themselves are great for easy facial cleaning.
- These pads are excellent at minimizing pours and preventing acne flare ups.
- This is a good cheap alternative to Obagi pore cleanser.
- All in all, great value and very effective.
- Fantastic price compared to in store.
- These are hands down the best.
- A great spot blemish treatment
- Amazing product for big pimples!
- Effective targeted spot treatment
- Finally something that works!
- Great product great seller.
- It is effective without drying the skin in the extreme and it is a good cover up for skin imperfections.
- Seems to work, tho could be a touch stronger.
- The product works great and cuts down on the shine typically associated with oily skin.
- Works wonders for acne overnight
- Great for spot treatment or preventative.
- Amazing Results at a Good Price
- Best face moisturizer for the money.
- Clean & Clear Essentials Dual Action Moisturizer, 4 ounce
- Great product and amazing customer service.
- It’s a great product once used with the first 2 steps.
- The best moisturizer for break out prone skin.
- This is a nice solid inexpensive moisturizer.
- Works well to tame acne-prone , oily skin
- Feels very good on the skin and doesn’t burn.
- This product works well as a moisturizer, and soaks into the skin quickly, leaving a soft feeling behind, no grease or residue.
- Good product for minor acne, not greasy, it works well.
- Great value compared to the name brands.
- Inexpensive, works as well as the stuff at the local pharmacy.
- Quick, effective and drying.
- The product is reasonable priced and appears to work as well as the major brands.
- This stuff made the annoying things history
- Works great and is much cheaper than the name brands.
- Works just as well as the name brand products
- A much better price than even Walmart.
- Good product at a good price.
- A great find in a 2% salicylic scrub.
- Exactly as described, and seems to work well.
- Great value for a superior product
- Salicylic acid naturally exfoliates the skin and is a great resource for anti-aging.
- Smells nice, and the beads are amazing! This cleanser removes dead skin very well.
- This is a good scrubbing cleanser with NO polyethylene beads (the banned plastic beads).
- Good Points:Great Price, the alternative is Nuetragena and this is just as good.
- Overall, a good oil-free face cleaner, that is good for those prone to getting acne.
- The fragrance is pleasant and it feels nice on the skin.
- The texture is nice; this is a perfect alternative to a label-branded product.
- As good as any other generic drug on the market.
- Really hard to find elsewhere, great price
- Super effective after 2-3 weeks regular use, bit drying though.
- This cream is a great value for the money! It’s comparable to much more expensive acne creams.
- Works as well as any other benzoyl peroxide cream
- Good cheap way of getting rid of acne.
- Great value for the price and quantity.
- The active ingredient, benzoyl peroxide, is great for acne and folliculitis.
- This is much cheaper than most store brands, and works very well.
- Way better than “natural remedies” that have unnecessary and destructive ingredients.
- Amazing price point for quality and quantity
- Best Value on the Market for 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Wash
- Excellent product, as good as name brand at a 3rd of the cost.
- Gets the job done for less cost than similar products.
- Great acne wash for a great value
- This 10% benzoyl peroxide wash is an effective treatment for acne when used twice daily.
- This product worked as well as the name brand and cost half as much.
- Very comparable to the name brand
- Nice smell, and a nice feel.
- This product works just as well as the more expensive Clean and Clear brand.
- Clearasil Daily Clear Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream, 1 Ounce (Pack of 3)
- Effective product to control acne
- Fantastic Clearasil Product
- Great clear acne product
- The only thing that works!
- Very Effective, Money Well-Spent!
- Very pleased Clearasil products remain effective and haven’t loss their ability to help troubled areas heal quickly.
- Works great and is a great deal on Amazon.
- Good for breaking the heads of pimples that need to come out, with minimal damage to the skin.
- Great price, no smell, fast acting.
Some More Acne Medication – Less Preference
Here are some more acne medication that might be helpful. Search and compare directly from Amazon.
- Good foam, small amount of product is needed per wash.
- Smells better than Neutrogena. Excellent price point
- These are small bottles of effective face wash to help treat acne breakouts.
- This has the same ingredients as the brand name and works basically the same at 1/2 the price.
- Very happy, identical to name brand and less expensive
- Works great and has an even better price.
- Same active ingredient with a cheaper cost.
- The Solimo face wash is great for cleaning out pores, and as good on sensitive skin as the name brand is.
- This is just as good for a fraction of the cost.
- Very pleased with how well this works.
- Always works, on blackheads and even pimples.
- Good price for the pack! Benzoilperoxide is working the same way (which is – good) as in any other brands.
- Great benzoyl peroxide acne treatment
- Great product for the price.
- Strong, affordable, and dries clear!
- This cream is a good consistency and helps with oiliness and large pores.
- These tubes are bigger than most acne medicines which means a much better value.
- This brand is cheaper even than store generics.
- Works great at drying up the canker.
- Great at getting rid of pimples!
- All teens should have tgis
- Benzyl peroxide and concealer does it all.
- Good quality for the money.
- Good value , works well
- Great product and value
- Product was as advertised and works.
- This creame is effective for adults and teenage acne breakouts.
- This is a very good product.
- The best thing is, this product is paraben free.
- The tinted acne treatment is a lot better.
- Cleans well, feels good.
- Definitely recommend for sensitive and rough skin
- It was very smoothe and nourishing, works very well over night too and leaves me feeling cleansed.
- Nice cleaning without stripping or over drying.
- Refreshing tingle and clear skin from a daily cleanser
- This is a very good facewash.
- Very good product and service.
- Really hard to find in Australia at a good price so happy to find on Amazon.
- The item was set as a double pack with a great price.
- This is by far the best treatment for acne.
- Acne treatment that works.
- Best acne treatment gel out there.
- Good for acne treatment
- It’s a very great product! It really works to clear acne up.
- Really helps breakouts!
- This is the only acne treatment gel that’s really work.
- Works amazing. Tried so many different products
- This stuff works great and doesn’t cost much.
- Works fast with no drying.
- THIS STUFF WORKS
- Best cleanser for teens.
- Highly Recommend It Work for!!!!
- Let’s face it: no simple face wash is going to magically remove big, deep, hard blackheads—head to the facialist for manual extractions.
- Squeaky Clean Pores, SO HAPPY
- This product works great.
- Well the number was wrong
- Works Good at a Great Price!
- Even over a lot more brand name products this still works better.
- The real plus was the excellent price, no sales tax and free shipping.
- Works great and comes in.
- A good value for a good product.
- Best item for kids mild case of acne
- Best product to get rid of blackheads on nose.
- Great product and price was comparable to the chain stores.
- This product works great for quickly clearing up acne.
- This stuff does work to quickly dry out pimples.
- Good for tiny bumps when paired with Nizoral.
- Really works to help fight oiliness and acne.
- Use it as a spot treatment since it is too strong.
- With that being said, this product has greatly helped me with it.
- Best deal for benzoil peroxide
- Excellent value that works just as good or better than name brands
- It is as effective as name brands and the price is good.
- Super effective! Has stopped acne from getting bigger!
- Very impressive for the price – 10% Benzoyl Peroxide will get the toughest job done – unscented – invisible.
- Works well at maintaining control of breakouts
- Definitely recommend this.
- High Quality and fast shipping.
- This brand seems to be more gentle on the skin, while still maintaining a comparable rate of effectiveness.
- Works better & faster than Clean & Clear, and even better price.
- Excellent wash for getting rid of acne and excess oil.
- Good for eczema and adult acne
- Great Product in a Tiny Bottle
- It is very drying which is great for acne.
- It should be part of a doctor prescribed regime for acne management
- Quality item at a great price
- This product actually works
- This product is amazing.
- Works great at keeping those pimples at bay.
- Great for topical treatments
- AMAZON BRAND SOLIMO DEEP CLEANSING ASTRINGENT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
- Smells nice and works great!
- Wonderful product for sensitive skin that is prone to black heads or white heads
- Works well and a good value for three Deep Cleaning Astringent
- Apparently amazon makes great quality products for an equally good value.
- Nice and refreshing to the skin.
- So far this has been very effective.
- Super effective at cutting through the oils, and doesn’t have a lasting scent.
- The number and size of the acne have decreased significantly.
- These types can be a little drying, so we use it as a spot cleaner for the T zone and it does help reduce the inflammation of existing flare-ups while working to reduce their frequency.
Acne Medication – Effective Acne Treatment
How acne can appear? How to prevent and cure acne? How to avoid bad acne scars? If you are still confused about it, find out the answer at our acne help page here.
There are many different types of acne therefore there are many different acne cures and prevention methods that have been used for years by people all over the world. There is no one particular acne product that can be used to treat and cure all types of acne. In many cases whatever acne products and medication you use for treatment will need to be continued for prevention.
Commonly, there are two things which have to be done in curing acne. First, we need to know what causes the acne, and then avoid it. Second, cure the acne. By knowing the cause of acne on one’s skin, he may find the best solution to cure the acne. Acne free = (knowing the causes and avoid it x implementing healthy lifestyles) + get the right medication to cure it.
We need to do those two things, so acne will be recovered perfectly. If someone cures acne without avoid things which cause the acne, he will suffer for acne in another day. And if someone makes wrong interpretation about causes of acne on his skin, he may take wrong solution in curing his acne.
There are three medication principles which are needed to be done to cure acne.
- First, increasing skin regeneration process, so there will be no blocking on skin pores.
- Second, block the growing of propionibacteri acnes bacteria on sebaceous gland. Then, subtracting sebaceous gland production so there will be no blocking in gland stream.
- And the last is stressing infection process which is happened inside dermis skin tissue.
Acne Medication: What Can Help You
Acne medication can be purchased in different types. You can purchase over the counter products that are effective at relieving the infections on the skin and you can use a wide range of prescription medications that can also be quite effective. You need to find out just what medication will work for you based on what needs you have. And, you need to insure that you follow the treatment carefully so that it can work for you. Then, the medication can really help to improve your outlook on life.
Medication: Over The Counter
Your first option is to use over the counter medications that treat acne. These are really a wide range of products. Some use alcohol like products to help kill the bacteria and cleanse the face. Others are creams that fight the bacteria growing inside the actual pimple. Still others are a combination of facial cleansers and subtle medication. What you choose is up to you. But, what you will find in most of these products is that they can only work if you follow their treatment instructions perfectly. That is because bacteria can continue to grow and cause inflammation if they are untreated even for one day.
If the over the counter products do not work for you, you can often seek the help of a dermatologist to help you. These individuals can do a wide range of things for you. For example, they can help to kill off the bacteria that are casing the infection in the first place. This will help the existing pimples to go away because the bacteria are dead and the skin can actually heal itself. Another type of medication that will work for acne that is caused by over producing oil glands works by turning off the oil glands themselves. By controlling hormone levels within the body, the medications can stop the production of oil and therefore make the skin unattractive to bacteria.
In any of these cases, to get rid of acne, you need to properly care for your skin and follow directions carefully.
Acne Medications And Treatments
Some forms of acne are mild and can be controlled with mild over the counter acne medications, products, natural and home remedies are often the best treatments and turn out to be cures for many people.
Some forms of acne are a result of more serious illnesses and the best acne treatments are given under the care of a physician. When most people think about acne treatments and cures they think of topical products but there are so many acne medications and natural acne treatment programs that incorporate vitamins in healing acne, however it is important to remember that there is no one vitamin or mineral alone that will cure acne.
Vitamins can be one of the best acne treatments as part of a program where other methods are included. Some of the most popular vitamins and minerals used on the market to treat acne that have also been touted as possible acne cures are as listed: B5: B5 was at one time believed to be an acne cure when it is really no more than an acne treatment. It was suggested that one should take extremely high doses. Contrary to popular belief, too much of a good thing is not good at all not to mention how it can damage your body in other ways.
Zinc: There were some studies done in which zinc was quite successful in treating acne but it is by no means a cure. It is one of the best treatments for acne for many people and for many it is not. It is said to work better on some people than tetracycline.
Vitamin E: Vitamin E is wonderful because it gives a boost to the immune system which will certainly aid in the overall health of your whole body and by default your skin. It also regulates vitamin A which is essential in keeping the skin healthy.
There are a series of vitamins that are essential in keeping you healthy but taking one of them without the others is not a cure for acne. Taking one kind of vitamin is not the best acne treatment and will only cause more of an imbalance in your body that will only aggravate your acne instead of healing it. So whatever you do in effort to treat your acne, do so with an open mind.
A Guide to Prescription Medications For Acne
There is a whole array of medications and therapies available to cure acne. Given below is a quick guide to some prescription medications for acne. The information would help you know what acne medication does to your skin to treat acne. But these are prescription medicines so should be taken only under strict medical guidance.
Isotretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A which is taken for 15-20 weeks, in the form of a pill. It is often prescribed for patients with severe nodular acne that do not respond to any other treatments. The use of Isotretinoin has resulted in permanent removal of acne in various cases. However, it has also been used to treat various mild to moderate forms of acne, depending on the condition of the patient.
The mild side effects may consist of dry skin, joint ache, muscle ache, dry nose and mouth, and cracked lips. However, one thing needs to be kept in mind; the use of Isotretinoin during pregnancy is strictly prohibited as it might lead to the birth of a deformed child.
Oral antibiotics (Tetracycline, Minocycline, Doxycycline)
Antibiotics are bacteria fighting agents. Oral antibiotics are taken in pill form usually once a day. They help stop the growth of P. Acnes, the bacteria that causes acne, and hence prevent acne. Pomade Acne, Infantile acne, Acne Conglobata, Acne Fulminans, Pyoderma Faciale, Nodulocystic acne are some types of acne that can be cured with the help of oral antibiotics. Tetracycline also has an anti-inflammatory effect and is therefore, prescribed for the patients of Rosacea.
Some antibiotics negate the effect of birth control pills and therefore, the women using them, might require the aid of other birth control measures. They may also result in increased sensitivity to sunlight, in which case, exposure to the same might cause rash, itchiness, or redness. Upset stomach, diarrhoea, nausea, headache, vomiting, dizziness, or light-headedness are some of the other side-effects.
Birth control pills, notably Ortho Tri-Cyclen, which contains progesterone and estrogens decreases testosterone levels, which in turn decreases the severity of acne in women. Studies claim that about 50 % of the lesions are reduced. They are also used to cure several types of acne depending on the condition of the sufferer.
You should not smoke while using oral contraceptives as this might lead to serious heart diseases. There are many negative side effects as well as positive side effects of taking birth control pills for acne. A consultation with your doctor can provide you with the best answer.
Tazorotene is a vitamin A derivative which is applied to the skin once a day. It is quite effective in curing various types of acne like Pomade Acne, with no specifications, depending on the condition of the patient. How it works towards improvement of acne is still to be discovered, but the results show a 50 % success rate in treating acne.
Being a retinoid, tazorotene should not be used by women, who are pregnant because of potential harm to the foetus. Exposure to sunlight should be avoided. Wind or cold might become more intolerable, while taking Tazorotene. The normal side-effects include peeling skin, burning, stinging, dry skin, redness, and itchiness.
Tretinoin is a retinoic acid and Vitamin A acid combined, which comes in the form of various creams, gels, and liquids to be used on the skin. It is usually applied once a day. It helps clean the pores by unplugging the follicles and also increases the speed at which skin cells are replaced on the surface. It is also used to treat various mild, moderate and severe types of acne, depending on the condition of the sufferer.
The initial stages of taking Tretinoin may witness worsening of acne. It makes you more sensitive to sun and heat. Consultation with a doctor is recommended because when in combination with sulfur, resorcinol, or salicylic acid, it may lead to excessive irritation. Normal side effects include excessive redness, crusted, or blistered skin.
These are the various medications available to pull you out of your acne woes. But, it is normally recommendable to use any of them under medical guidance as nearly all these medicines are quite strong and may have severe side effects. A timely treatment under an efficient dermatologist can minimize the problem as well as prevent scars that usually are a result of uncared or over-cared for acne.
Acne Medications For Mild To Moderate Acne Breakout
However, if you want your mild to moderate breakouts to disappear at the shortest possible time, then you might need the help of topical creams and medications. Although there are many types of acne medications on the market, the best or most ideal to mild and moderate acne problems is topical benzyl peroxide.
Benzyl Peroxide Unveiled
Look at the different over-the-counter pimple fighting gels, creams and ointments. You will discover that most of them have benzyl peroxide as an active ingredient. Basically, benzyl peroxide can be classified as a chemical under the peroxide family. As the name implies, however, this ingredient is a fusion or combination of peroxide and benzyl.
Pimple-killing properties of benzyl peroxide
A number of studies have already confirmed the effectiveness of this active ingredient in the drying up of pimples and the prevention of further breakouts. Benzyl peroxide is being considered as a best acne buster because it acts three ways: as an oxidizing agent, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory.
Oxidizing Agent: As an oxidizing agent, benzyl peroxide helps in drying out the skin blemishes. Since this chemical is a very potent oxidizing agent, the concentration of benzyl peroxide in anti-acne creams and gels should be lower than ten percent. You need to know that anything that is more than this percentage might irritate and damage skin.
Some people get an allergic reaction to this chemical, primarily because of its oxidizing property. If you are one of the few who develops a skin allergy after using products that contain high concentration of benzyl peroxide, do not despair. Instead of utilizing a cream that contains 10% benzyl peroxide, just find one that only has a 2.5% concentration.
Antiseptic Property: The antiseptic property of benzyl oxide helps in bringing down the number of yeast, bacteria and other microbes on the surface of the skin, thereby decreasing the chances of getting an infection. In short, the antiseptic property of benzyl peroxide cleanses the surface of the skin from harmful bacteria and microorganisms.
Anti-inflammatory: In just a few hours after applying the benzyl peroxide-based product, you will notice the significant decline in the puffiness or swelling of your acne. The reason for this is the anti-inflammatory property of benzyl peroxide. Actually, if your problem is just mild and moderate, you will notice that after a day or two, your acne will have completely flattened and healed.
Common Side Effects of Benzyl Peroxide
Although you can buy topical benzyl product with less than 10% concentration over the counter, it does not mean it is safe to use regularly or frequently. Many people experience adverse effects from this product because they overuse it and do not follow the recommended usage.
This acne medication should only be applied directly on the affected area because the area where the benzyl peroxide is applied will surely be dry in just a couple of hours. You will also notice that frequent use of benzyl peroxide will make your skin a bit scaly.
Despite the minor side effects, anti-acne cream containing benzyl peroxide still remains as the best acne medication for slight to moderate acne breakout by many magazines and lifestyle articles on the Net.
Acne Prevention Hygiene and Medication
A single of the most regular misconceptions about acne is that it truly is triggered by filth. It isn’t! Acne is triggered by a mix of elements you cannot deal with, like your hormone stability and the natural tempo of your skin’s renewal technique.
Fortunately, there are a amount of concerns you can handle that may well aid you sustain your acne in confirm. Commence by right after these straightforward tips for wholesome-skin hygiene.
Tip #1: Do not a lot more than-wash
Since filth isn’t producing your acne, severe scrubbing and washing will not make it go away. Try to restrict oneself to two washings per day— anything at all at all over that can depart your wholesome skin dry and your acne-vulnerable locations irritated. Habitual over-washing may also stimulate additional oil manufacturing, which might finish outcome in a good deal a lot more breakouts.
Tip #2: Skip harsh scrubs
It actually is okay to exfoliate, but be good to use a gentle formula with small, smooth grains. Remain away from products with almond or apricot shell fragments; they can irritate or even tear your skin and a lot more aggravate your acne.
Tip #3: Say no to alcohol
If you use a toner, Steer clear of items with greater concentrations of isopropyl alcohol, or regular rubbing alcohol. An effective astringent, alcohol strips the major layer of your skin, major to your sebaceous glands to develop significantly a lot more oil. The finish end result is Dry, red skin — and almost certainly a good deal a lot more blemishes.
Tip #4: Do not squeeze or pick
Squeezing or picking your blemishes — with fingernails, pins or anything at all else — can force bacteria deeper into the skin, major to greater irritation and infection. You will also boost the harm to the surrounding skin, so the blemish is a great deal a lot more almost certainly to depart a lengthy lasting acne scar.
Tip #5: Hands off!
Propionibacterium acnes (the bacteria that trigger breakouts) is a common resident of your skin; it is not going to lead to acne till lastly it will get trapped inside the hair follicle. Intense touching of your experience, which consists of rubbing or even resting your chin in your hands, can drive bacteria into your pores — exactly where it can Start its dirty work.
Tip #6: Workout, wash off
When you exercise, your movement generates heat; garments and resources trigger friction. Until finally lastly you shower off, heat and moisture are trapped in the direction of your skin, top to a greatest breeding ground for the spread of bacteria. So each and every time you can, do take shower off right away after completing functioning out.
Acne Prevention Treatment – Learn a regimen and stick with it. Most circumstances of mild acne can be enhanced with “much more than-the-counter” things, or products that By no means require a prescription from your doctor.
If you Start Treatment just prior to your acne will get severe, you’ll have a larger probability of steering clear of bodily and emotional issues down the road. But if your acne will get worse or lasts above a couple of weeks, view a dermatologist.
Here is a fast list of the most regular items utilized to handle acne —
- Benzyl Peroxide: Kills the bacteria that prospects to acne.
- Proactiv® Reply: A dermatologist formulated Mixture Treatment® acne management plan.
- Salicylic Acid: Unclogs your pores and encourages skin renewal.
- Tretinoin (Retin-A®): Promotes wholesome sloughing.
- Antibiotics: Kill bacteria and decreases irritation.
- Oral Contraceptives: Help regulate hormone quantities.
- Anti-Androgens: Inhibit the body’s manufacturing of acne-producing hormones.
- Isotretinoin (Accutane®): Treatment for severe cystic or nodular acne.
Acne Medications, Treatments and Remedies
Have you ever experienced a breakout of pimples when faced with a stressful situation like exams? This is one very common cause of acne and effects many young people in their developing years. As kids approach puberty hormones change and can very often give rise to this skin condition. Pregnancy can also give rise to this skin problem, due to hormone changes.
Here are some common acne medications and remedies.
- Facial scrubs
- Topical applications
- Hormonal treatments
- Natural diets
Antibiotics can be taken orally or topically and are an effective medicine for treating acne. They kill bacteria, which are thought to be one of the main causes of this skin condition.
Facial scrubs are popular. They can be chemical medications like salicylic acid and glycolic acid. These remedies destroy the top layer of the skin and are best used with moisturizers. Another treatment is to use liquids or an abrasive cloth. The idea behind these scrubs is to deep clean the face and eradicate oil and bacteria. These are seen as 2 of the leading factors in this skin condition.
For milder forms of acne less radical forms of treatment are available in the form of topical creams and ointments. Many of these medicines can be obtained over the counter others are by prescription only. The over the counter ones range from those made with natural products to those made entirely from chemicals. The prescription ones are stronger and generally a more effective remedy. Over the counter medications are widely advertised by the TV and magazines.
For females hormonal treatments can be used as hormones do play a large role in acne problems. Some medicines used are oestrogen, progestogen and Cyproterone. The most effective hormone remedies used are a combination of Cyproterone and oestrogen. This is taken when blood levels show levels of androgens to be abnormally high.
On large persistent pimples, which seem resistant to other treatments cortisone can be applied. Your dermatologist will prescribe this. This is a fast acting medication and will flatten the pimple making it easier to camouflage with makeup. Cortisone will help heal these blemishes.
Eating a more healthy diet can also help to lessen acne problems. This is a natural way to cut down oils and improve the body’s overall health. This will help to lessen some symptoms of acne, as a healthier body is less susceptible to these problems.
Several factors contribute to this skin condition and it is hard to eradicate the problem completely. Many of these treatments are taken in combination with each other and by advice of a dermatologist. Individual skin conditions will have a lot to do with which remedy will work best. However you can lessen acne problems by keeping in good health and cutting down stress.
Acne Medications and Drugs
Skin problems are apparently benign and self healing; and for most of them, they said impressions are true. Pimples, rashes, spots, blackheads and whiteheads are common problems that affect almost everyone at some points in their lives. Some people sail away smoothly past them, while others take the complications along into their later lives. For those who have serious tendency to develop skin problems due to excessive secretions, inflammation and skin reactions, there have appeared potent medications to keep things under control.
Acne medications range from being over the counter to prescription drugs. Further, many natural formulations, skin products and lotions also claim to help improve or prevent acne. What’s more important, however, is the actual molecular formula of its anti-acne chemical. Some can be mild and therapeutic while others are strong, and can even be dangerous if not administered properly.
Acne treatments work on multiple levels – they may be unplugging the many pores in skin; they may be anti-bacterial; anti-inflammatory; or may be helping in reducing skin oil. Some birth control pills used in women help acne by topping up the amount of estrogens in the blood and so reducing hormone-induced acne. Your best treatment combination depends on the actual causes and severity of symptoms you are facing.
If acne has rendered your skin infected by bacteria, a doctor will usually prescribe you oral or tropical antibiotic like erythromycin or clyndamycin. Azelaic acid is another drug prescribed by doctors to control bacterial infection and inflammation and to prevent further acne. The prescriptions can be for up to a few weeks to ensure that the infection has been completely eliminated. As with all antibiotic medications, using it too much or discontinuing the use midway can lead to drug resistance. Therefore, all antibiotics, if administered, must be continued up till the prescription period.
Tropical Retinoids are a group of compounds that help clear up the skin of clogged pores. It is often used along with other antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs to control acne. Tretinoin, tazarotene and adapalene are some of the common retinoids used presently. They are beneficial against moderate to severe acne and can be prescribed by a doctor to reduce the chances of another breakout.
Also, regular prevention methods for acne control are much more effective than cleaning up acne once it has aggravated. Therefore, the best advice to cure acne will be to cleanse skin regularly using an acne friendly facial cleanser, along with taking proper care or it while going outdoors or in conditions where sweating may be excessive.
Acne Medications For Severe Acne
Persistent or severe cases of acne may respond best to oral acne medications. How do you know if oral acne medications are the right treatment choice for you?
Severe acne (Grades III and IV) is characterized by the presence of numerous papules and pustules, deep nodules, and pronounced inflammation of the skin. Cysts are often present as well. It is sometimes referred to as nodulocystic or cystic acne. Severe acne often occurs on other areas of the body, in addition to the face.
A dermatologist must treat acne of this severity. Severe acne can be difficult to control, and in most cases requires systemic medications in addition to topical treatments. Systemic medications work internally to improve the skin.
Oral antibiotics have been used to treat acne for many years. Like topical antibiotics, oral antibiotics work by reducing Propionibacteria acnes (the bacteria responsible for acne breakouts). They also help decrease inflammation of the skin. Patients are usually started on a high dosage and moved to lower dosages as acne improves. Oral antibiotics are used to treat moderate to severe acne, or persistent acne.
The most common oral antibiotics prescribed for acne treatments are:
Oral contraceptives, also known as birth control pills, can be used to treat acne in women. A combination of estrogens and progestin, oral contraceptives work to reduce oil gland secretions by suppressing androgen hormones. They are a good choice for women with acne who need a form of birth control anyway. Oral contraceptives are used in conjunction with topical medications to treat severe acne.
Determining Your Acne Medications Suited For Your Skin Types
Regardless of which type of acne you experience, you no doubt just want it to go away. The first step in treating your acne is to determine whether you need an acne cream treatment, an intense treatment or other type of treatment. You may not even need an acne treatment at all.
You see, many cases of acne are best fought with better hygiene and an understanding of what causes acne. By simply cleansing your skin in the correct way, you can eliminate or reduce most acne conditions. If you do this and you still have acne, you probably need an acne medication.
There are several different types of acne medications. The following will help you figure out which medications are right for your skin type:
- Dry Skin – Acne cream treatment
- Oily Skin – Gel acne treatment
- Combination Skin – Lotion acne treatment
Whenever you choose an acne product for your skin, it is very important to choose a product that is compatible with your skin type. If you choose a medication that is too harsh for your skin, you may irritate your skin and exacerbate your acne condition. Dry skin is especially prone to sensitivity and drying, so be sure to use a gentle, acne cream treatment for this skin type.
Last update on 2020-07-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API